Audubon Yoga Studio opened in the Fall of 2000. Classes at the studio are based on the teachings of BKS Iyengar, one of the most influential and respected yogis of our time. Iyengar yoga emphasizes the alignment of the body and building strength and flexibility through precise and mindful work in the asanas (postures).
With the use of props, this is a safe yet challenging method of yoga, helping to provide balance and stability of our physical and mental bodies. With the union of body and mind we begin the journey of Self-discovery.
What is Iyengar yoga?
Iyengar yoga is the instruction of the yoga techniques established by yoga master B.K.S. Iyengar. His intense practice and over 75 years of teaching has produced significant innovations in the art of teaching yoga.
- A complete approach to physical, mental, emotional and spiritual transformation, helping to provide the practitioner with physical health and vitality, mental clarity and wisdom, and emotional serenity and poise.
- Emphasis on standing poses in the beginning to develop strength, stamina, concentration and body alignment.
- A safe, orderly, systematic progression of poses to develop the student's ability both within a class and from class to class.
- Use of props, such as blankets, blocks and straps, to facilitate learning and to address each individual's particular needs.
- Highly developed teaching method, including the precise use of language and demonstration and individual correction and adjustment of students.
- Ways to use yoga to ease various ailments and stresses.
For more information on Iyengar yoga, please visit: